Khao Sok National Park, Koh Lipe, and Bangkok in 9 Days – Day 2
Khao Sok National Park is one of the most beautiful national parks in Thailand – a home to various types of flora and fauna. It is located on the mainland between Phuket, Krabi, and Gulf of Thailands, in Surat Thani province. Guilin is a very beautiful place in China, and Khao Sok is often referred to as “Guilin of Thailand” due to its majestic scenery and biological diversity. The national park offers many activities to visitors, such as trekking, canoeing, bamboo rafting, or a boat tour to Cheow Lan lake – man-made lake. I and my friends planned to celebrate Christmas eve in the heart of the mountains followed by an overnight stay on the lake. We took an overnight train from Bangkok the previous night that brought us to Surat Thani station early morning, from where we headed to Khao Sok National Park.
Highlights of the Day
- Relax at Khao Sok Boutique Camps
Getting to the Camps
We boarded the train No. 85 from Hua Lamphong Railway Station – the main railway station of Bangkok the previous night at 7.30 PM. We reached Surat Thani Railway Station today morning at around 7 AM.
Khao Sok Boutique Camps are located around 100 km away from the railway station.
Outside the railway station, there are minivan services to different places in mainland and also to connecting ferries to take you to islands of Gulf of Thailand and also the islands of Andaman Sea. We hied a private air-conditioned van outside the station to our accommodation in Khao Sok.
Khao Sok Boutique Camps
I had been longing to experience an overnight stay in the heart of Khao Sok National Park in a tent and Khao Sok Boutique Camps were best suited for my needs. We reached the camps at around 9 AM.
We had booked two signature view tents, with an extra bed for each room, for an overnight stay.
Khao Sok Boutique Camps provide comfortable tents with luxurious amenities. There are two types of tents – exotic view and signature view, the latter being more expensive as it provides the best panoramic view of Khaosok National Park. Each tent has individual air conditioning, nicely decorated teak furniture, comfortable beds with duvets, and refrigerator with complimentary bottled water. There is internet access in guestroom and free WiFi for all in the public area. There is a free-shuttle bus from Khao Sok Boutique Camps at 10 AM that go to the national park and a return bus from the park to the camps at 4 PM.
Soon we freshened up. We were already hungry – time for brunch!
The property is huge. After brunch, we explored other parts of the boutique camp.
We relaxed by the pool, and also later, got back to our tents to have a cozy afternoon nap in the lap of the national park.
It was Christmas Eve. In Thailand, people do not usually celebrate Christmas except in few parties in the cities and in the beaches. We celebrated the evening among ourselves over chatting, playing games, and good food.
The place was perfect to laze under the umbrella of stars and talk to your close buddies. It was a beautiful night!
What To Do in Khao Sok?
Khao Sok is a good choice for nature lovers and eco-tourism. There are many activities to do.
- Stay in the National Park: Stay in a riverside cottage or treehouse or tent like we did. It should be in the heart of the national park. You need to just admire the natural beauty of the rainforest.
- Jungle Trekking: Trekking is one of the most popular activities here. It leads to the most beautiful rainforest of Thailand and a land of diverse flora and fauna. There is a chance to spot animals and wild flowers. Moreover, on the way through the dense jungle, you can enjoy cool jungle air and several waterfalls.
- Boat Tours to Cheow Lan Lake: Cheow Lan Lake or Ratchaprapha Dam is a man-made lake. It s surrounded by over 100 islands with towering limestone cliffs that give the lake its fairy-tale scenery. Spend your day taking in the amazing scenery, jungle hiking, or exploring a cave. You can also swim or just relax at the floating bungalows.
- River Canoe: Sok river is a main water supply to the local for their daily use and farming in the area. You can take a canoe and kayak along the river, where you can enjoy the spectacular scenery of limestone mountains, cliff, cave, and a lush green forest along the river banks. You can also spot some wild fauna along the river.
- Tubing: Tubing is a fun and challenging activity as you have to control the tube to go on the direction you want. You can enjoy the beautiful surrounding of Khao Sok while doing it.
- Elephant Observation: You can visit an elephant camp – very popular in Thailand, hence also in Khao Sok. Spend time with the elephants, learn how they live with their mahouts, and feed them. But kindly avoid going for an elephant trekking – elephant riding is completely a bad idea for the innocent animals.
We had booked an overnight stay in one of the floating bungalows in Cheow Lan Lake. It included activities like trekking and caving. We had booked this a few weeks in advance from a local tour operator.
NET EXPENSE FOR 1 PERSON (IN THB)
Let us have a look at the expenses of Day 2 in Thailand – Khao Sok National Park.
- Hotel in Khao Sok for triple sharing (1 night): 2050
- Getting around: 250
- Food: 400
Total expense (roughly): 2700 THB
For an overall idea of itinerary and expense of the trip, whether for solo or couple or group of any number of people, feel free to contact me on Contact Us page. You can also have a look at Khao Sok National Park, Koh Lipe, and Bangkok in 9 Days – Itinerary and Expenses.
If you are planning for a much-organized, tastefully-curated, stress-free yet exciting vacation, consider booking your holidays at Travel Love Repeat. It is going to be a treat for sure!